Green Garlic Aioli Recipe
This tangy aioli is ideal as a dipping sauce for steamed artichokes, a spread on toasted bread to jazz up a BLT, or simply as a dip for potato chips.
What to buy: Green garlic is garlic that is harvested in the spring before the full bulb is allowed to develop. It looks similar to a thick scallion and has a strong garlic aroma but a mild flavor. Look for it at your farmers’ market from March to May.
Game plan: This recipe calls for a raw egg. While it’s perfectly safe for healthy adults to consume raw eggs, the elderly, pregnant women, or anyone with a delicate immune system should not.
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green garlic (from about 2 medium; white and green parts only)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1/3 cups canola or vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Place the egg, garlic, and mustard in a food processor fitted with a blade attachment and process until evenly combined.
- With the processor running, slowly add the oil in a thin stream until it’s completely combined, about 3 minutes. Add the lemon juice, salt, and pepper and pulse until the mixture is smooth. Serve immediately, or refrigerate in a container with a tightfitting lid for up to 4 days.