Mock Potato Salad
Kohlrabi may look like an extraterrestrial, but it tastes like an amalgamation of familiar vegetables: broccoli, celery, and potato. By tossing it with ingredients akin to a classic American potato salad, the relatively unknown veggie becomes approachable and outright delicious. Of course, you can always just use spuds here for a picnic-worthy potato salad.
This recipe was featured as part of our Picnic Recipes and Tailgating Recipes photo galleries.
- 3 pounds kohlrabi, peeled and cut into large dice (about 8 medium kohlrabies)
- 2 medium celery stalks, small dice (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 medium red onion, small dice (about 3/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1Place kohlrabi in a medium pot of heavily salted water and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer until kohlrabi is tender with a few pieces breaking off slightly at the edges, about 15 minutes.
- 2Meanwhile, stir together remaining ingredients in a large bowl until thoroughly combined. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and refrigerate until kohlrabi is finished cooking.
- 3When kohlrabi is ready, drain well and add to mayonnaise mixture. Stir until kohlrabi is well coated; taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Cover and refrigerate until cold, about 2 hours, before serving.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved