Banana Wontons Recipe
I once ate this delicious dessert in Alhambra, CA in one of the many Asian restaurants lining Main Street. The original recipe called for carmalized sugar poured over the wontons. But I found a good maple syrup and powdered sugar worked just fine.
It’s great for a quick breakfast treat, dessert, or just plain anytime.
- wonton skins
- ripe banana, preferably with freckles
- hot oil in a pan or wok
- maple syrup and powdered sugar as garnish
- Get the wok nice and hot with the oil. I love peanut oil but canola oil is good,too.
- Take out the wonton wraps one at a time, place a piece of banana in the middle of the wonton. Too much banana will not seal properly. Dot the edges of the wonton with water, Turn one corner of the wonton over to the opposite corner to make a triangle. Carefully press edges together. Seal tightly.
- Once you have the desired number of stuffed wontons ready, gently use a slotted spoon or a “spider” placing a few wontons at at a time in the hot oil. Flip over quickly once the wontons begin to brown and blister. Adjust heat if necessary.
- Drain on paper towel.
- Pour maple syrup over the hot wontons and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Serve hot.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.