was part of
Food Fight: Desperation Dinner Challenge
which ended Mar 31, 2008 05:00 PM.
See winners »
Gubment Breakfast (inspired by the Reagan years) Recipe
What can I say? Poverty inspired this recipe. The Reagan years of government cheese, bread, can goods, etc. were some of the most challenging years of my young life. I’m a witness that “necessity is indeed the mother of invention” (W. Horman) and humility is the root of true gratitude.
- 1 slice of bacon
- 1 Small onion
- 1 Tbsp Government Flour
- 1Tbsp Water
- 1 cup Government Cheese (shredded)
- 2 Tbsp Government Butter
- 3 Eggs
- Dice and cook the slice of bacon until crispy.
- Mince the onion and sauté in the bacon fat.
- Add the flour to begin to make a sauce and add water as needed.
- Add the shredded government cheese. (Govt cheese was a strange “animal”, it did weird things depending on how you cooked it.)
- In the pot (because my sister only had one skillet), melt the pats of government butter.
- Beat the 3 eggs in a bowl, add to butter and scramble.
- Plate a serving of eggs with the cheese sauce on top.
- Enjoy the smile on the kids faces as they enjoy something OTHER THAN government cereal or government grits.
- For Lunch
Same ingredients, MINUS the scrambled eggs, ADD a baked potato for each child.
Fluff the baked potatoes, layer the cheese sauce in the potatoes, and sprinkle some dehydrated chives on top for aesthetics. LOL
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.