Thai and Korean foods fuse well. This beef salad is one example.
- 1Prepare Marinade Ingredients;
Crush, press, or blend 8 cloves garlic.
Add all marinade ingredients to a small mixing bowl and mix well.
Let stand at room temperature for twenty minutes.
- 2Prepare Steak:
Slice the steak into strips about 1/4 inch thick and 2 inches in length (partially freezing the steak will make it easier to slice). Lightly salt and pepper the meat and let stand ten minutes.
Place meat into a mixing bowl, cover with marinade and mix well.
Let stand in refrigerator two to twenty four hours.
- 3Prepare Dressing Ingredients:
Finely chop 3 cloves of garlic.
Peel and finely grate ginger.
- 4Prepare Salad Ingredients:
Separate lettuce leaves and wash in cold water. Drain and pat dry with paper towel.
Thin slice onion from top to bottom.
Coarse chop (large pieces) the cilantro and mint.
Wash tomato in cold water and thin slice.
Peel cucumber, cut in half lengthwise, and thin slice.
Peel and thin slice the shallots lengthwise.
- 5Prepare Garnish Ingredients:
Dry toast the uncooked rice in a small skillet over high heat until browned. Remove from heat and let cool. Rough grind with mortar and pestle, coffee grinder, or blender.
Trim top and bottom from green onion, wash in cold water, and finely chop.
- 6Hand tear lettuce leaves and place in a large salad or mixing bowl.
- 7Lightly oil a skillet and heat over high heat.
Add steak pieces and sear.
Add 1/2 cup water to skillet, bring to a boil, and cook for one minute.
Remove steak pieces from skillet and place in a medium mixing bowl.
- 8Place all dressing ingredients (except ginger) into the skillet and just bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer for ten minutes.
Remove from heat, add shredded ginger, and pour the mixture over the beef.
- 9Remove meat from the mixture and place on top of the lettuce.
Add all other salad ingredients and toss.
- 10Drizzle 1/4 of the dressing over the salad, serving the remaining dressing on the side.
- 11Sprinkle salad with green onion and toasted ground rice.
- 12Serve warm with steamed rice.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.