was part of
Food Fight: Macaroni and Cheese Challenge
which ended Feb 29, 2008 04:00 PM.
See winners »
Crispity, Crunchity, Cheese-a-liciously Cheesy Mac & Cheese Recipe
Have you ever made a fabulous batch of mac & cheese and then been disappointed by the leftovers the next day? The crumb topping has been picked over. The cheese isn’t as melty and cheesy. The macaroni has a tough time holding up to the reheating.
Mac & cheese lovers rejoice. This recipe is guaranteed to make your mac & cheese leftovers disappear. If you love mac & cheese with crumb topping, this is for you!
- 4 cups of leftover macaroni and cheese
- 1/2 of a cup of grated Gruyere cheese
- 1/2 of a cup of seasoned Italian bread crumbs
- 1/4 of a cup of Pecorino Romano cheese
- olive oil cooking spray
- Salt to taste
- Ground Black Pepper to taste
- Spray large frying pan with cooking oil.
- Add leftover mac & cheese to frying pan and heat over low flame
- While mac & cheese is heating, grate 1/2 of a cup of Gruyere cheese and 1/4 cup of Pecorino Romano cheese into a large bowl.
- Add the 1/2 a cup of the seasoned Italian bread crumb to the large bowl.
- Mix Gruyere and bread crumbs well.
- Add ground black pepper to taste to bread crumb/cheese mix.
- Once the mac & cheese is getting slightly melted, remove from flame.
- Add mac & cheese to the bread crumb mixture.
- Toss mac & Cheese and bread crumb mixture and mix well.
- Return crumbly mac & cheese to the pan and spray mac & cheese lightly with olive oil
- Heat on medium until cheese is gooey and melty and crumbs are brown and crispy. Enjoy!
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.