Basic Roasted Bell Peppers
Roasted bell peppers make a great addition to pizzas and sandwiches. Instead of placing the peppers directly under the broiler, we give them a little room by setting them in the middle of the oven. This extra distance allows them to roast a bit before their skins blister.
Game plan: The roasted peppers can be stored for up to 4 days before using.
- 2 medium bell peppers, washed and dried thoroughly
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1Heat the broiler to high and arrange a rack in the upper third of the oven. Place the bell peppers directly on the rack. Roast, turning occasionally, until they blacken and blister on all sides, about 20 minutes.
- 2Remove the peppers from the oven and place in a heatproof bowl. Cover tightly with plastic wrap or a baking sheet and let sit for about 30 minutes.
- 3When the peppers are cool enough to handle, remove their skins and slice them open. Remove the seeds and membranes and discard. Slice the peppers into 1/2-inch-thick strips and season with salt and pepper. If not using immediately, refrigerate for up to 4 days in an airtight container.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved