These no bake, high-protein, high-fiber bars are based upon Melissa Diane Smith’s recipe for Amaretto Protein Bars in her book Going Against the Grain and are a cinch to make. The chocolate topping makes them seem a bit decadent (skip it if you must, they’ll still come out fine) –though dark chocolate, rich in anti-oxidants has now entered the echelon of power foods so I’ll keep it on mine.
- 1Place almonds, flax meal, shredded coconut, almond butter and salt in a food processor
- 2Pulse briefly, about 10 seconds
- 3In a small sauce pan, melt coconut oil over very low heat
- 4Remove coconut oil from stove, stir stevia, agave and vanilla into oil
- 5Add coconut oil mixture to food processor and pulse until ingredients form a coarse paste
- 6Press mixture into an 8 × 8 glass baking dish
- 7Chill in refrigerator for 1 hour, until mixture hardens
- 8In a small saucepan, melt chocodrops over very low heat, stirring continuously
- 9Spread melted chocolate over bars; return to refrigerator for 30 minutes, until chocolate hardens
- 10Remove from refrigerator, cut into bars and serve
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.