Odaeng (Korean Sweet Fishcake) Recipe
Popular as either a snack or part of a ban chan array.
Note: There are many different types of fishcake. This recipe works well with any flat sheet style of fishcake, however the roughly 6 inch by 9 inch by ¼ inch with the medium to dark brown “skin” and off white center is best.
- 2 sheets flat Korean fish cake
- 1 small onion
- 1 small carrot
- blended sesame/soy bean oil (or vegetable cooking oil)
Stir Fry sauce
- 1 tablespoon Soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Refined rice wine
- 2 cloves fresh garlic
- ¼ inch knob of fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon Sesame oil
- Mix Sauce–
Put garlic, ginger, and soy sauce in blender, and blend into a smooth liquid. Put all sauce ingredients into a small mixing bowl and mix well.
- Slice fishcake in half lengthwise, then slice each half into about 1/2 inch by 3 inch strips.
- Thin slice carrot and onion.
Pre-heat wok or stir fry pan over high heat, add cooking oil, then add sliced fishcake and stir fry for 1 to 2 minutes.
Add carrot, onion, and sauce, and stir fry for three to four minutes.
- Serve warm as a snack, or chill and serve as part of a ban chan array.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.