was part of
Food Fight: Macaroni and Cheese Challenge
which ended Feb 29, 2008 04:00 PM.
See winners »
Three Cheese Mac and Cheese with Panko Bread Crumb Topping Recipe
Basically an adapted recipe from others I have tried. The secret is how the panko bread crumbs on the top make it crunchy and yet the three cheeses add a real richness.
- 1 pound large elbow macaroni
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound white Cheddar, shredded
- 4 ounces Romano, shredded
- 4 ounces Asiago, shredded
- 2 cups Panko (japenese) bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In large pot filled with water add 3 pinches of salt and the macaroni and place over high heat. Bring to a boil and let cook until al dente, about 8 minutes. Drain. Set aside
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Sprinkle flour over butter and cook 2 to 3 minutes on medium heat, whisking until a roux or paste forms. Add cold milk and whisk vigorously until dissolved. Cook sauce on medium-low heat until thick and bubbly. Add heavy cream, all cheeses, 1 tablespoon of salt, and 1 tablespoon pepper. Cook until cheeses are fully melted, stirring occasionally.
- In a separate pan melt 2 tablespoons butter and then mix in panko bread crumbs until the butter is thoroughly absorbed.
- Add cooked macaroni to cheese mixture and mix thoroughly. Place macaroni mixture in a 13 by 9 baking dish and top with bread crumbs. Place in the oven and bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- For extra crispy topping, place under broiler after baking until bread crumbs turn golden brown. Recommended.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.