was part of
Food Fight: Macaroni and Cheese Challenge
which ended Feb 29, 2008 04:00 PM.
See winners »
Cheesy Mac & Cheese Bake Recipe
I’m sorry I didn’t include the amount of ingrediants because I don’t really measure…it depends on how many servings you want to make. When you are constantly on the road for work, it’s hard to find all the utensils from home. It really is a great dish for a meal or a side.
- Pasta - Elbow or Shells
- Butter (real, not margarine)
- Milk (min. 2% or better)
- Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese (or you can mix 2/3 extra sharp & 1/3 colby/jack)
- Beer (not much, because you can drink the rest while you are cooking)
- Salt, Pepper, Paprika to taste
- Gourmet Garlic & Herb Croutons or Homemade Croutons
- Boil pasta in water, salt & butter to al dente. Don’t overboil because it will cook a little more in the oven. Drain pasta and set aside.
- In another pan, make a roux with butter and flour. Add milk slowly while stirring. Once to desired thickness, add salt, pepper & paprika to taste. Stir in shredded or sliced cheese and add a little beer.
- Once the cheese is melted in the sauce, turn off the heat and mix in the cooked pasta. Get an appropriate baking dish, butter the sides and put a half the pasta mix in the baking dish. Sprinkle shredded shredded cheese, follow with the remaining pasta and remaining shredded cheese. Top with croutons.
- Bake at 375 until the cheese is melted and there are a few burnt edges around the pan (my favorite). Once you’re satisfied with “doneness”, let it sit for a few minutes before serving.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.