This is our family recipe for a super tender roast with very rich gravy. There’s something that a nice dark red wine does for a large cut of beef that just complements the flavor like nothing else. In this recipe we use Shiraz wine to flavor our beef and gravy, if this is something you haven’t tried, you are seriously missing out.
What to buy:
A nice dark bottle of Shiraz and your favorite cut of beef for roasting.
Level of difficulty:
Kitchen items needed:
Covered Roasting pan
Medium Sauce Pan
True story behind the gravy. When I came up with this recipe my wife went crazy for it. The bold flavor the gravy has due to the red wine is just something to rave about. So naturally my wife makes me cook it for her mother. My mother-in-law comes to dinner complaining that she doesn’t eat fancy foods with wine in them, etc.. etc…
To make a long story short, by the end of dinner my mother-in-law was caught red handed with a plate full of gravy. The gravy was on EVERYTHING including her salad… yes her salad.
So much for not liking my “fancy” cooking.
Enjoy!| by Backslider
- 1Allow beef roast to set to approx room temperature. Rinse the roast under cool water, and pat dry with towels. Lightly coat beef with olive oil and paprika.
- 2Preheat oven to 350’F.
- 3Heat large skillet to Medium High heat. When pan is hot, place quartered onions on skillet and brown each flat side of quartered onion. When browned remove from skillet and place in roasting pan. Toss in garlic for a quick browning, and place in roasting pan with onions.
- 4Place roast in hot skillet and brown until crust forms. Flip and brown other side. With both sides browned, place roast in center of roasting pan. Circle the roast with quartered onions and garlic.
- 5Deglaze the pan using Shiraz scraping the pan to remove all of the dark brown bits, and pour over roast.
- 6Sprinkle rosemary lightly over the top of the roast.
- 7Grind fresh black pepper over the top of the roast.
- 8Fill the roasting pan to one half of the beef’s height with water. Do NOT cover the roast with water.
- 9Add Mushrooms and Bouquet Garni to roasting pan
- 10Place in oven and cook covered @ 350’F for 3 to 3 1/2 hours.
- 11Remove roast and onions from pan and place in serving dish. Pour juices from roasting pan in to a medium sauce pan and turn to medium heat and thicken.
- 12Salt gravy to taste.
- 13Serve roast with gravy, add your favorite Mashed Potato, or Rice recipe.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.