was part of
Food Fight: Macaroni and Cheese Challenge
which ended Feb 29, 2008 04:00 PM.
See winners »
I grew up eating and making this recipe. This is a baked casserole kind of mac n’ cheese and is amazing. None of this Velveeta or American cheese garbage. This is the real deal.
- 1Cook the pasta according to package directions (I add salt and olive oil to the water while boiling).
- 2Whisk eggs and milk together.
- 3When pasta is cooked and cooled, mix into eggs and milk mixture.
- 4Mix grated cheese in, reserving about 1/4 cup for the top.
- 5Season with salt and pepper and garlic salt.
- 6Add chopped tomatoes, if desired.
- 7Pour into greased 9 × 13 pan.
- 8Sprinkle remaining cheddar cheese on top.
- 9Bake for 1 hour at 375 degrees, until top is crispy and knife inserted in middle comes out clean.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.