was part of
Food Fight: Macaroni and Cheese Challenge
which ended Feb 29, 2008 04:00 PM.
See winners »
Baked Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
I grew up eating and making this recipe. This is a baked casserole kind of mac n’ cheese and is amazing. None of this Velveeta or American cheese garbage. This is the real deal.
- 1 box elbow macaroni
- 1 pound cheddar cheese, grated
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- chopped tomatoes (optional)
- Cook the pasta according to package directions (I add salt and olive oil to the water while boiling).
- Whisk eggs and milk together.
- When pasta is cooked and cooled, mix into eggs and milk mixture.
- Mix grated cheese in, reserving about 1/4 cup for the top.
- Season with salt and pepper and garlic salt.
- Add chopped tomatoes, if desired.
- Pour into greased 9 × 13 pan.
- Sprinkle remaining cheddar cheese on top.
- Bake for 1 hour at 375 degrees, until top is crispy and knife inserted in middle comes out clean.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.