was part of
Food Fight: Macaroni and Cheese Challenge
which ended Feb 29, 2008 04:00 PM.
See winners »
Smoked Cheddar Mac & Cheese Recipe
Smoked cheese and fire roasted tomatoes give this mac & cheese a twist on this favorite comfort food.
- 3 cups uncooked elbow macaroni (12 oz)
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups oz smoked Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup smoked mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 14.5 oz cans fire roasted diced tomatoes, well drained
- 1/4 cup diced green onions. 4 or 5
- 1/4 cup grated or shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup plain bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1. Cook macaroni as directed on box. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oven to 375°F. Spray 13×9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray. In 2-quart saucepan, heat cream, milk, mustard, salt and red pepper, pepper to just boiling. Immediately reduce to a simmer, whisk in stir in Cheddar, mozzarella cheeses till smooth.
- Pour sauce over macaroni, and mix in green onions and tomatoes. Pour into baking dish. In a separate bowl, mix Parmesan cheese and bread crumbs, then stir in oil. Sprinkle this mixture evenly over top of macaroni mixture.
- Bake uncovered 15 – 20 minutes till bubbly, and golden brown.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.