This recipe was part of the Food Fight: Macaroni and Cheese Challenge which ended Feb 29, 2008 04:00 PM. See winners »
Macroni and Cheese - no boiling needed Recipe
Inspired by the Moosewood Low-Fat cookbook, I have simplied a bit. To make it over the top, just add some bacon or salumi!
- 1 ounce (about a 1x1 cube) Parmesan cheese 1 slice of bread
- ½ a medium-large onion 4 ounces extra-sharp Cheddar cheese 1 carton 1% cottage cheese 1 ½ cups buttermilk 1 teaspoon dry mustard pinch of cayenne ¼ teaspoon nutmeg ½ teaspoon salt ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ½ pound uncooked elbow macaroni
- Preheat the oven to 375oF. Prepare a 9-inch square baking pan with a light coating of oil.
- Grate parmesan cheese in food processor with blade. Tear bread in large chunks, add to cheese and process until bread is turned into medium crumbs. Pour into small bowl and set aside.
Using shredding disk, grate the cheddar cheese and onion. Place in large bowl
- Using blade, process the cottage cheese, buttermilk, and spices until smooth. Place in bowl with onion and cheddar cheese. Add macaroni to bowl and stir. Pour into prepared baking pan. Sprinkle bread crumb mixture over top. Bake for about 45 minutes, until the toping is browned and the center is firm.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.