Orange Hard Sauce Recipe
This orange-scented sauce is a hit when served alongside Beth’s Gingerbread with Stout.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/2 stick), at room temperature
- Finely grated zest of 1/2 medium orange
- 3/4 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons brandy, bourbon, rum, orange liqueur, or Cognac
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Freshly ground nutmeg, for sprinkling
- In a small bowl with an electric mixer, beat the butter, zest, and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed, about 2 minutes. Add the brandy and vanilla and beat until just smooth and incorporated, about 30 seconds.
- Scrape into a serving dish or plastic container, cover, and refrigerate overnight to meld the flavors. The sauce will have a solid consistency. Before serving, grate fresh nutmeg over the top. To serve, scoop out a small spoonful and push the sauce out of the spoon using a butter knife.