The Smirking Pig's Macaroni and Cheese
This is my tried and true macaroni and cheese recipe. You can eschew eggs and fancy cheeses. All you need is
- 4 tablespoons butter (salted or unsalted)
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups of whole milk
- 1 pound of extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated (should be two cups)
- 1 pound of mild cheddar cheese, grated (should be two cups)
- 1 pound box dried macaroni
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Melt butter over medium heat in large saucepan. Once melted add flour and cayenne pepper to make a roux. Salt and pepper to taste. Cook roux until it takes a nice deep blonde color, about 5–7 minutes. Don’t let it get to dark (a dark roux won’t thicken properly).
- 3Add milk to the roux, half a cup at a time, stirring until smooth before adding next addition. The mixture should be smooth and thick. If it’s too thick, add more milk in 1/4 cup increments. If it’s too thin, you will have to start over.
- 4Once your bechamel is to your liking, begin to add the grated cheeses in small increments, stirring each addition until smooth and incorporated. When finished, reduce heat to low.
- 5Cook macaroni according to directions on box. Drain and rinse.
- 6Add cheese sauce to macaroni. Bake in ove proof dish for 30 minutes until slightly firm. Top with additional cheddar cheese if you like.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved