Tomatillo Chipotle Salsa Recipe
This is a traditional combination of ingredients. I wanted something in between a straight tomatillo based salsa verde (green) and the typical tomato based salsa roja (red) found in taquerias.
The proportions are approximate – keep adding chipotles until the sauce has enough bite for you.
This sauce will keep about a week in the refrigerator.
Definitely NOT found at Chipotle *cough*mexican*cough*.
- 8 oz. fresh tomatillos - husked and rinsed
- 4 ea. chipotle chiles, en adobo
- 6 ea. garlic cloves, in husk
- 1/2 tsp. salt or to taste
- Heat up a skillet to medium flame, then place the tomatillos stem end down along with the garlic cloves. When the garlic cloves start to turn brown, turn everything over. Cook until cloves are brown then remove from heat. Remove husks from garlic cloves and cut out any tough stems from tomatillos.
- Place all ingredients in a blender jar and blend until smooth. Place in refrigerator overnight to ‘bloom’ and to disperse the chipotle heat.
- Taste, adjust salt and add more chipotle if desired.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.