I am an accomplished Thai cuisine cook and an up and coming authentic Chinese cook. I lived in Bangkok Thailand for over 5 years so I am very familiar with how they cook, how dishes should taste, and how to recognize the best ingredients. I’ll be posting Thai dishes here for the most part, but some will be off that path.
This is my recipe for Thai coconut chicken soup like you’d get in a Thai restaurant. I grew up in Thailand and we had maids that would prepare our meals. They showed me how to make this soup and here is the recipe:
- 1Slice the chili peppers then fry in oil for a few seconds until cooked.
- 2In a soup pot, heat coconut milk with chicken stock over medium heat and bring to a boil.
- 3Add galanga, lemon grass, cooked peppers from the other pan, grated lime rind and lime leaves
- 4Continue to boil for a minute and then reduce heat to a simmer
- 5Add shrimp paste, fish sauce, sugar, lime juice, straw mushrooms and pepper flakes
- 6Stir to mix
- 7Drop chicken pieces one at a time into the broth. Do not stir until chicken is cooked.
- 8When chicken is done, stir in sliced button mushrooms and remove from heat.
- 9Sprinkle with cilantro and serve.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.