Fennel-Apple Slaw Recipe
A slaw can consist of anything that can be thinly sliced. In this case sweet apples, crisp fennel, and crunchy Belgian endive make a light salad that’s perfect served alongside rich fall or winter food.
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 heads Belgian endive, halved lengthwise, cored, and very thinly sliced (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 3 small fennel bulbs, halved lengthwise, cored, and very thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
- 1 large Fuji apple, halved lengthwise, cored, and very thinly sliced (about 2 1/2 cups)
- Whisk together shallot, vinegar, salt, and pepper in a large, nonreactive bowl. While constantly whisking, add oil by pouring in a thin stream down the side of the bowl. Whisk until all the oil is incorporated. Taste and adjust the seasoning as desired.
- Add endive, fennel, and apple slices to the vinaigrette and toss to coat. Taste again and adjust the seasoning as desired. Serve.