Herbed Peas and Carrots Recipe
No TV dinner or other midcentury American meal would be complete without the addition of peas and carrots. Made sweet with shallots and butter, and livened up with a bit of parsley, this is a side dish worth reviving.
This recipe was featured as part of our DIY TV Dinners story.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 7 medium carrots, peeled and small dice (about 3 cups)
- 2 medium shallots, peeled and finely chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 pound frozen baby peas, thawed (about 3 cups)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh Italian parsley leaves
- Heat butter and oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Once butter foams, add carrots and shallots, and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until shallots are translucent and soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add water and continue to cook until liquid evaporates and carrots are tender, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add peas and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in parsley, season with salt and freshly ground pepper, and serve.