Samgyetang (Korean Chicken & Ginseng Soup)
Chicken soup is pretty universal. This Korean version is a hearty, healthy, and delicious way to change up an old favorite.
- 1 young chicken (2 to 3 pounds) May substitute 2 cornish game hens
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 4 red dates (Chinese or Korean jujubes)
- ginseng rootlets
- 1/2 inch fresh ginger
- 6 cloves fresh garlic
- 10 cups water
- 1/2 cup sweet rice
- 8 ginko nuts, shelled
- 2 fresh ginseng roots
- 1/2 small white or yellow onion
- 8 cloves fresh garlic
- 8 red dates (Chinese or Korean jujubes)
- 2 scallions or green/spring onion
- 2 eggs
- 1Put rice in a bowl and rinse until water runs clear. Cover with water and soak for 1/2 hour. Drain.
- 2Clean poultry inside and out (use or discard gizzards and liver as you wish).
Lightly salt (rub) both the inside and outside, and let stand for fifteen minutes.
- 3Wash ginseng root then trim the rootlets (do not discard, save for soup). Cut into bite size pieces.
- 4Slice onion, then cut slices in half
- 5Wash and thin slice the ginger.
- 6Put all stuffing ingredients into the cavity (Divide stuffing evenly if using 2 game hens), and close flaps over the cavity (sew with thread or use a skewer).
- 7Separate egg yolks from whites and place in separate small bowls. Lightly whip yolks together. Spread whipped yolks in frying pan and cook until lightly browned, flip and repeat with the other side. Remove from pan and cut into narrow strips.
Repeat with whites.
- 8Place poultry in a heavy pot and cover with water.
Bring to a full boil over high heat, skimming oil and foam as needed.
- 9Reduce heat to medium, add ginger slices, cover and cook for one hour.
- 10Remove and discard ginger, then add garlic, jujubes, and ginseng rootlets. Cook for an additional thirty minutes, adding water as needed to maintain 1/2 the original volume.
- 11Add sesame oil five minutes before end of cooking.
- 12Fine chop the scallions/green onions.
Garnish each serving with egg strips and green onions.
Serve hot, adding salt and pepper to taste.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved