Spiced Pumpkin Ice Cream Recipe
This has a good balance. Not too spiced, with pronounced pumpkin flavor, but not overwhelming…
I also wanted something creamy and sophisticated… this really turned out well.
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups pure unsweetened pumpkin puree
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cloves
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- Heat cream, milk, 1 cup sugar and salt in saucepan to 185. Take off heat.
- Whisk eggs with ¼ cup sugar until it is at the ribboned stage (pale yellow, creamy and whisk leaves “ribbons” in the yolks). Temper egg mixture with hot cream, slowly. Add all back into saucepan, heat slowly to 175. Strain through fine sieve into bowl in an ice bath.
- Mix pumpkin and remaining sugar and spices. If pumpkin isn’t smooth, puree. Whisk the pumpkin mixture into the custard base, cool to 40 degrees and freeze in ice cream maker.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.