Chocolate Mousse Cake Recipe
Simple, elegant chocolatey dessert. Make it ahead, refrigerate, and remove 30 minutes before serving. You can play with this—use almonds/almond extract, add a dollop of nutella to chocolate whipped cream and/or cake, use chocolate wafer crumbs on the outside and add chopped oreos to the top, rum whipped cream, etc.
- 1 3/4 c. hazelnuts
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 16 oz. good quality semisweet/bittersweet (or combination) chocolate
- 1 c. whipping cream
- 6 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 c. flour
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 1/2 c. whipping cream (additional for chocolate whipped cream)
- 1/2 oz semisweet chocolate
- Butter 9" springform pan. Process nuts in food processor until coarsely ground. Hand mix w/ melted butter. Press in springform pan 1 1/2" up sides.
- Heat chocolate (16 oz) and cream over low heat until chocolate is melted. Remove from heat. (Can be done in microwave).
- Bet eggs, vanilla until well mixed. Add flour and sugar. Beat on high until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Stir 1/4 of this into chocolate mixture. Then fold chocolate mixture back into the rest of the egg mixture. Turn into pan w/ hazelnuts and bake in preheated 325 degree oven for 40 minutes until slightly puffed. Cool completely, 3-4 hours. Cover and refrigerate.
- Melt remaining chocolate and whipping cream over stove. Chill. Half an hour before serving, remove from refrigerator. Just before serving, whip the chocolate cream mixture until stiff peaks form. Decorate (works great in a pastry bag).
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.