Bubbe's Sugar Cookies
After talking with Bayla Scher of Feed Me Bubbe fame, we had to get a couple of her recipes. This one is great for cutout cookies during the holidays, or any other time of year you’re feeling festive.
Game plan: These cookies can also be baked plain and decorated with tubed frosting available in the baking aisle of the market.
- 8 tablespoons pareve margarine (1 stick), at room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- Candy sprinkles
- 1Heat the oven to 375°F and arrange the rack in the middle. Coat a baking sheet with margarine or line it with parchment paper and set aside. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat margarine, eggs, and sugar together on medium speed until creamy.
- 2Sift flour, salt, and baking powder slowly into margarine mixture. Beat until thoroughly incorporated. (Dough should be stiff enough to roll out.)
- 3Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead briefly. Divide into 3 pieces and form into flat disks; wrap 2 disks in plastic and chill in the refrigerator while working with the first disk.
- 4Using a floured rolling pin, roll first disk out to 1/4- to 1/8-inch thickness (if dough is not workable, place in the refrigerator for an hour). Cut out cookies using cutters dipped in flour, and arrange on the prepared baking sheet.
- 5Brush cookies with egg white, and sprinkle with sugar and sprinkles. Bake until lightly brown on edges, about 8 minutes.
- 6Remove from the baking sheet to a rack and let cool. Store in an airtight container with parchment or waxed paper between the layers.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved