Mushroom and Carrot Bulgur Recipe
3 to 4 servings
Mushroom and Carrot Bulgur
Why settle for boring brown rice or another baked potato? Taking a couple of extra minutes to build a good flavor foundation can transform a sometimes-too-healthy-tasting grain like bulgur into a side dish that supports a saucy entrée without stealing the spotlight.
This recipe was featured as part of both our Easy Weeknight Dinner menu and our Supercharge with Superfoods photo gallery.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms, small dice
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup medium-grind bulgur
- 1/4 cup peeled, small-dice carrots
- 1Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. When it shimmers, add shallots and cook until just beginning to soften, about 2 minutes. Add mushrooms, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, and cook until moisture released is almost evaporated, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- 2Increase heat to medium high. Add wine and cook until almost evaporated, about 3 minutes. Add water and bring to a boil. Stir in salt and bulgur and cover.
- 3Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in carrots and simmer until fork tender, about 5 minutes more. Turn off heat and let stand covered for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve.
Copyright ©2012 CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved