Gumbo Z'Herbes Recipe
Traditionally Gumbo Z’Herbes is a Lenten and meat free dish. Truth is, it is great anytime and the addition of some Tasso produces a heartier dish. Feel free to use whatever greens you have around.
- 2 Large Bunches of Mustard Greens, soaked and hard parts removed
- 1 Bunch of Baby Spinach, likewise
- 1 Bunch of Italian Parlsey
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1c Onion, chopped
- 1 Bunch of Green Onions, white part removed and remains chopped
- 5c Water
- ¼ c Dry Vermouth
- ½ t Oregano, dried
- ½ t Thyme, dried
- ¼ t Cayenne Pepper
- 1lb Tasso, cut up to ¼ inch
- 3c Chicken Stock
- 1T Olive Oil
- 1t Salt
- ½ c Brown Roux
- Crystal Hot Sauce, to taste
- Cook the tender portions of the Mustard Greens and Spinach in the water for about an hour or until tender.
- Remove from the heat, retain the cooking water and allow to cool while you prepare the Roux.
- Remove the Roux and set it aside and in the same heavy pot add the Olive Oil and render the Tasso for about 10 minutes.
- Add the Onion, Garlic, Green Onion, Parsley, Oregano, Thyme, Salt and Cayenne. Cook until the Onions are translucent or for about 15 minutes over medium high heat.
- Add the Vermouth to deglaze.
- Chop the now cooled greens into smallish pieces. Add to the pot along with about 2/3 of the retained cooking liquid. Add the Stock. Simmer for 30 minutes
- Stir in the Roux, holding back any extra oil that make be on the top. Cook for another 15 minutes then add the Hot Sauce.
- Serve over rice, popcorn rice if you have it.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.