Traditionally Gumbo Z’Herbes is a Lenten and meat free dish. Truth is, it is great anytime and the addition of some Tasso produces a heartier dish. Feel free to use whatever greens you have around.
- 1Cook the tender portions of the Mustard Greens and Spinach in the water for about an hour or until tender.
- 2Remove from the heat, retain the cooking water and allow to cool while you prepare the Roux.
- 3Remove the Roux and set it aside and in the same heavy pot add the Olive Oil and render the Tasso for about 10 minutes.
- 4Add the Onion, Garlic, Green Onion, Parsley, Oregano, Thyme, Salt and Cayenne. Cook until the Onions are translucent or for about 15 minutes over medium high heat.
- 5Add the Vermouth to deglaze.
- 6Chop the now cooled greens into smallish pieces. Add to the pot along with about 2/3 of the retained cooking liquid. Add the Stock. Simmer for 30 minutes
- 7Stir in the Roux, holding back any extra oil that make be on the top. Cook for another 15 minutes then add the Hot Sauce.
- 8Serve over rice, popcorn rice if you have it.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.