Green Tomato Scrambled Eggs Recipe
Due to receiving an abundant supply of green tomatoes (must have been 10 pounds), I had to get creative. I came up with this idea because I love vegetable flavored omelets, but have never mastered the art of making omelets so mine always end up as scrambled eggs. What I discovered is that green tomatoes make a good substitute for green bell peppers (similar taste and texture). I created this recipe and both my husband and I decided it will be a keeper.
- 6 large eggs
- 1/4 cup chopped onion (frozen chopped onion may be used to save time)
- 1/2 cup chopped green tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp pimento
- 1/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Salt to taste
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Crack eggs into medium sized bowl.
- Spray frying pan with non-stick cooking spray
- Add chopped onion, chopped green tomatoes, pimento, shredded cheese, salt and pepper to egg. Mix thoroughly.
- Heat frying pan to medium heat. When pan is heated, add egg mixture.
- Allow to cook until bottom has begun to firm up. Gently stir eggs and turn them so entire mixture is allowed to cook to desired texture (golden but not browned).
- Remove from pan and plate immediately.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.