Chicory and Arugula Salad with Honey Vinaigrette Recipe
Some people like the bitterness of chicory and arugula, but in too large a quantity, the greens can be overwhelming. This straightforward salad tosses the bitter lettuces in a slightly sweet honey vinaigrette to balance things out. Add the crunch of toasted walnuts, and you’ve got a satisfying starter any day of the week.
This recipe was featured as part of our Easy Weeknight Dinner menu.
- 1 medium head Belgian endive, coarsely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 small head radicchio, coarsely chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 1/2 ounces baby arugula (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more as needed
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more as needed
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1/4 cup walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- Combine the greens in a serving bowl and set aside.
- Whisk together the vinegar, honey, and measured salt and pepper in a small, nonreactive bowl. While constantly whisking, add the oil by pouring it in a thin stream down the side of the bowl. Whisk until all the oil is incorporated. Taste and adjust the seasoning as desired.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the reserved greens and, using your hands, mix to coat the salad. Taste and adjust the seasoning as desired. Top with the walnuts and serve.