A perfect base for a curry or other spicy stew, this mashed potato alternative is a delicious way to put local root vegetables to use in a hearty fall dish.
We got a kabocha squash from a local organic farm and had no idea what to do with it. The organic spinach we aso got lent itself to a curry. So we roasted the squash, mashed it up, and put the curry on top. Yum! A perfect way to ring in daylight savings time!
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Halve the squash and scoop out all the seeds from the inside. Lay on baking sheet and brush insides with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and curry powder and put in oven for 1 hour 10 minutes.
- 3Allow squash to cool until you can handle it to scoop out the insides into a bowl. It’s okay to let it cool now for a while.
- 4Melt 6 tbs. butter on stovetop until it starts to brown. Add diced garlic and chicken broth, simmer for 2 min.
- 5Pour butter-broth-garlic mixture into bowl over cooked squash.
- 6Mash together. It might be liquidy and soupy at first. Use a wisk to beat it to a thicker, more mashed potato consistency.
- 7Serve and enjoy!
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.