Banana and Fromage Blanc Grilled Cheese
At first the obvious choice for this sandwich seemed to be cream cheese or mascarpone, but after tasting the tang from fromage blanc the answer was clear: The sweetness from the cinnamon-raisin bread and the bananas balanced out, and the cheese stayed put inside the sandwich.
What to buy: Fromage blanc, a fresh cream cheese, can be found at cheese stores and gourmet markets. Good-quality whipped cream cheese is your best bet for a replacement.
See more grilled cheese combinations.
- 3 tablespoons fromage blanc
- 1/2 medium banana, small dice
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 2 (1/2-inch-thick, 3 1/2–by–3 1/2–inch-long) slices cinnamon-raisin bread
- 1Combine cheese, banana, vanilla, and sugar in a small bowl and mix thoroughly.
- 2Heat a large frying pan over medium-low heat. Meanwhile, spread butter on 1 side of each slice of bread.
- 3Once the pan is warm, add 1 slice of bread buttered side down, top with cheese mixture, and close with second slice of bread buttered side up.
- 4Cook until bread is toasted and filling is warmed through, about 4 minutes per side.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved