Roasted Beet and Chèvre Grilled Cheese Recipe
- 8 (1/8-inch-thick) slices Basic Roasted Beets
- 1/2 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 2 (1/2-inch-thick, 4-by-5-inch-long) slices 9-grain bread
- 3 tablespoons chèvre (fresh goat cheese), at room temperature
- Combine beets and vinegar in a small bowl and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium-low heat. Meanwhile, spread butter on 1 side of each slice of bread.
- Once the pan is warm, add 1 slice of bread buttered side down, crumble 1/2 the cheese over the bread, and top with roasted beets. Crumble remaining cheese over beets and close the sandwich with the other slice of bread, buttered side up.
- Cook until bread is toasted and cheese is melted, about 5 minutes per side.
Beverage pairing: Allan Scott Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc, New Zealand. Sauvignon Blanc and chèvre are a classic combination. The sweet earthiness of the beets calls for a bright, fruity new-world wine, and New Zealand always fits the bill.