Basic Roasted Beets Recipe
Roasting beets concentrates their natural sweetness and couldn’t be easier. To serve, drizzle the beets with olive oil and sprinkle them with salt, or try them in either our Roasted Beet and Chèvre Grilled Cheese or our Smoked Salmon Tea Sandwiches.
Leafy beet tops make a great addition to pasta or even a quick side dish if you wilt them in walnut oil and serve with grated aged pecorino.
Peel the beets under running water to cool them faster and minimize finger-staining.
- 3 medium beets (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oven to 375°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Rinse the beets and trim off any leafy tops. Wrap completely in aluminum foil and place in the oven. Roast until tender and easily pierced with a knife, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- When the beets are cool enough to handle, peel using a paring knife or by pushing the skin with your fingers.
- Slice the beets, drizzle with olive oil, and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.