Black Forest Ham and Caramelized Onion Grilled Cheese Recipe
The tried-and-true combination of ham and cheese is tweaked just slightly for this sandwich. We paired Cambozola’s creamy texture and pungent flavor with Black Forest ham, sweet caramelized onions, and grilled rye for an update on the deli classic.
What to buy: Cambozola is a German blue cheese that has the creaminess of Camembert mixed with the earthiness of Gorgonzola. It can be found at high-end grocery stores and at cheese shops. If you can’t find it, Gorgonzola dolce makes a nice substitute.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 2 (1/2-inch-thick, 7-1/2-inch-long) slices light rye bread
- 2 ounces thinly sliced Cambozola cheese
- 2 tablespoons Basic Caramelized Onions
- 2 ounces thinly sliced Black Forest ham
- Heat a large frying pan over medium-low heat. Meanwhile, spread butter on one side of each slice of bread.
- Once the pan is warm, add a slice of bread buttered side down and top with the cheese, then onions, then ham. Close the sandwich with the other slice of bread, buttered side up.
- Cook until the bread is toasted and the cheese is melted, about 4 to 5 minutes per side.
Beverage pairing: Hartley & Gibson’s Amontillado, Spain. If you think of this sandwich as a tapa, you might be tempted to pair it with sherry, as they would in Andalucia. The best match is a light amontillado that has the nuttiness to go with the cheese and some acidity to cut through the ham’s fat. This amontillado is off-dry, and the caramelized onions on the sandwich introduce sweetness to the combo.