This salad is not for wimps. Some Caesar recipes try to downplay the anchovies and garlic, but here you can taste both (hint: The anchovies are in the dressing), and yes, it’s good.
What to buy: Be sure to use real Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.
Game plan: Make the croutons up to 3 days in advance and store them in an airtight container.
This is a great salad to make for a party. You can either set out the bowl of tossed salad with plates for your guests to help themselves, or arrange the salad on small plates beforehand.
- 2 large heads romaine lettuce (or 3 romaine hearts), washed, dried, smaller leaves left whole, larger ones torn into pieces (about 12 cups)
- 4 cups Garlicky Croutons
- 5 ounces shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/3 cup Caesar Dressing
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1Place the romaine, croutons, cheese, and dressing in a large bowl.
- 2Toss to combine, making sure that all the romaine leaves are evenly coated.
- 3Arrange the salad on plates, season with pepper, and serve immediately.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved