Carmen Amaya Recipe
What to buy: Amontillado sherry is a medium sherry that has a slightly nutty flavor. It can be found at most liquor stores.
Rye is considered to be the first American whiskey, but it tends not to be as popular as other whiskeys. There are a number of high-end ryes available at good liquor stores, but Jordan uses Old Overholt here.
- 5 fresh, blemish-free basil leaves, plus 1 leaf for garnish
- 3/4 ounce amontillado sherry
- 1 1/2 ounces Old Overholt rye
- 1 ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3/4 ounce Cointreau
- Dash orange bitters
- Orange twist, for garnish
- Chill one (6-ounce) cocktail glass.
- In a cocktail shaker, combine basil and sherry and muddle until leaves are bruised and slightly broken up. Add rye, lemon juice, Cointreau, and bitters. Fill the shaker with ice. Close the shaker and shake vigorously 20 times.
- Strain into the chilled glass, garnish with basil leaf or orange twist, and serve.