Simultaneously coy and assertive, this drink from Duggan McDonnell of San Francisco’s Cantina is well balanced yet boldly flavored. It’s great made to order but would do equally well as a punch at your next party.
What to buy: Velvet Falernum is a curious liqueur that many bars mix into drinks for an unexpected kick. Or you can try making your own: We think this recipe is a great stand-in.
If you’ve made your own ginger beer (and we think you should), then go ahead and use it here. Otherwise, look for a ginger beer that suits your taste. We prefer those with a nice note of sweet and a good kick of ginger, like Regatta.
- 1 1/2 ounces reposado tequila
- 1 ounce white port
- 1/2 ounce Velvet Falernum
- 1/2 ounce Rich Simple Syrup
- Juice of 1 medium lemon
- Ginger beer
- 1In a cocktail shaker, combine all ingredients except ginger beer and shake until shaker is frosted.
- 2Place fresh ice in a tall glass, strain tequila mixture over ice, adding a splash of ginger beer as you pour. Serve.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved