Santa Maria Recipe
Simultaneously coy and assertive, this drink from Duggan McDonnell of San Francisco’s Cantina is well balanced yet boldly flavored. It’s great made to order but would do equally well as a punch at your next party.
If you’ve made your own ginger beer (and we think you should), then go ahead and use it here. Otherwise, look for a ginger beer that suits your taste. We prefer those with a nice note of sweet and a good kick of ginger, like Regatta.
- 1 1/2 ounces reposado tequila
- 1 ounce white port
- 1/2 ounce Velvet Falernum
- 1/2 ounce Rich Simple Syrup
- Juice of 1 medium lemon
- Ginger beer
- In a cocktail shaker, combine all ingredients except ginger beer and shake until shaker is frosted.
- Place fresh ice in a tall glass, strain tequila mixture over ice, adding a splash of ginger beer as you pour. Serve.