Juniper and Bay Leaf Syrup
Flavored syrups add flair when shaken into cocktails. While this one would be great mixed with alcohol, we created it to mimic the herbaceous and menthol flavor of London dry gin. Try it in the Virgin Bramble or mixed into fresh squeezed lemon juice for a nice twist on lemonade.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 teaspoons juniper berries
- 3 bay leaves, lightly crushed
- 1Combine sugar, water, juniper berries, and bay leaves in a small saucepan; stir to dissolve sugar. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- 2When mixture boils, reduce the heat to medium, and simmer until mixture is slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- 3Remove from heat and let steep 15 to 20 minutes. Strain syrup to remove herbs, and transfer to a container with a tight-fitting lid. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved