Cucumber and Cumin Yogurt Relish Recipe
Serve this tzatziki-like condiment atop grilled meats such as our Middle Eastern Lamb Burgers or in a pita with falafel.
To crush the coriander seeds to a powder, put them in a resealable plastic bag, place on a cutting board, and tap with the bottom of a pan, mallet, or rolling pin.
What to buy:
This relish is especially creamy if made with Greek-style yogurt, but sour cream will do in a pinch.
- 6 medium Kirby cucumbers, peeled, halved lengthwise, and seeded
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 cup Greek-style yogurt or sour cream
- 2 tablespoons white wine or red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh mint leaves
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon whole coriander seed, crushed to a powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- Cut cleaned cucumbers into small dice and place in a colander set over a mixing bowl. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of the kosher salt and toss to coat. Weight down cucumbers by setting a plate on top, and let drain for 10 minutes. Occasionally press down on the plate to extract excess water.
- Meanwhile, combine yogurt, vinegar, parsley, mint, sugar, coriander, cumin, cayenne, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt in a medium mixing bowl, stirring until evenly combined.
- Blot cucumbers with paper towels, add to yogurt mixture, and stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.