Maxie's Fried Green Tomatoes Recipe
We know, you don’t associate good food from the Big Easy with upstate New York, but Maxie’s Supper Club is one of those places whose food can transport you in mere forkfuls. Try Maxie’s fried green tomatoes (paired with some rémoulade and lemon slices, of course), and we think you’ll agree.
What to buy: Panko is coarse Japanese-style breadcrumbs, available in many grocery stores.
This recipe was featured as part of our Tomatoes! photo gallery.
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 2 cups panko
- 1 1/2 teaspoons loosely packed lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons dried tarragon
- 1/4 cup Old Bay Seasoning
- 4 cups vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 pounds green heirloom tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- Place egg and milk in a medium bowl and whisk until combined; set aside. Place panko, lemon zest, tarragon, and Old Bay Seasoning in a shallow plate and mix until evenly combined; set aside.
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large frying pan or a cast iron skillet to 350°F. Line a plate with paper towels; set aside. Set up separate shallow bowls with flour, egg wash, and breading.
- Dry tomato slices off with paper towels, then dip each slice in flour and shake off the excess. Dip in egg wash, let excess drip off, and place in breading. Press down firmly to adhere breading; flip and repeat. Continue until all tomatoes are breaded.
- Fry tomato slices until golden brown, approximately 1 minute on each side. Drain tomato slices on the paper-towel-lined plate and, while still hot, season with salt and serve.