Grilled Vegetable Sandwich with Egg Salad and Bacon Recipe
Egg Salad Gribiche tops toasted country bread and grilled veggies. Any seasonal vegetables will work great here, but we especially like asparagus and scallions. To make these sandwiches while camping, prepare the egg salad in advance and keep it in the coldest part of your cooler. Let leftover grilled veggies from dinner and extra bacon from breakfast do the rest.
Game plan: These sandwiches are terrific when the bread is toasted or grilled, but it’s not necessary.
To grill the vegetables and bread, heat an outdoor grill to medium (about 350°F). Drizzle the bread and veggies with oil, season with salt and pepper, and cook, turning rarely, until browned and charred, about 3 to 5 minutes. Read more about grilling.
- 8 (1/2-inch-thick) slices pain au levain or other hard country bread (about half a loaf), toasted
- 12 stalks grilled asparagus
- 8 grilled scallions, cut in half crosswise
- 3/4 cup Egg Salad Gribiche
- 4 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- Top 4 slices of bread each with 3 stalks of asparagus and 4 scallion halves (trim the length of the asparagus and scallions as needed).
- Spoon 3 tablespoons of the Egg Salad Gribiche over the vegetables, and sprinkle crumbled bacon over the sauce. Top with the remaining slices of bread and serve.
Beverage pairing: Weingut Johann Donabaum Bergterrassen Federspiel Riesling, Austria. Vegetables, creamy egg salad, and bacon—not too many wines can bring that all together, except for Riesling. This one, from Austria, has enough cool-climate edginess to handle the asparagus and scallions, along with a little mineral smokiness to pick up the bacon and enough body to stand up to the egg salad.