In this take on a Greek salad, everything gets charred on the grill and served warm with a drizzle of the oregano marinade. We like it best when all the elements are chopped up and tossed with the dressing, so each bite is loaded with cheese, veggies, and herbs.
What to buy: Halloumi is a salty cheese from Cyprus in the Mediterranean; it’s sold in blocks in many gourmet grocery stores. It has a high melting point, making it perfect for grilling.
Special equipment: You’ll need 6 (8-inch) wooden or metal skewers to make the kebabs. You’ll also need a pastry brush or barbecue basting brush.
Game plan: If you’re using wooden skewers, soak them in water for 30 minutes beforehand, so they don’t burn on the grill.
- 1Place all of the ingredients in a blender or food processor and process on high until smooth, about 1 minute. Refrigerate in a container with a tightfitting lid for up to 1 day.
For the salad:
- 1Heat a grill to medium (about 350°F to 450°F) and rub the grates with a towel dipped in olive oil.
- 2Combine the tomatoes, cheese, and onion in a large bowl and season generously with salt and pepper. Add 1/2 cup of the marinade and gently toss to coat. Reserve the remaining marinade.
- 3Thread 1 tomato quarter, 1 piece of halloumi, and 1 onion wedge onto a skewer, followed by another tomato quarter and another piece of halloumi. Repeat to make 6 skewers. Place the skewers in a large, shallow dish, pour any marinade in the bowl over the skewers, cover, and let marinate in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes and up to 12 hours.
- 4Remove the skewers from the dish, allowing any excess marinade to drip away before placing them on the grill. Cover the grill and cook, turning the skewers every 2 minutes, until the vegetables are tender and charred and the cheese is soft, about 6 to 8 minutes total.
- 5About 3 minutes before the skewers are finished, brush the romaine with olive oil, season it with salt and pepper, and place it cut-side down on the grill. Cook until slightly wilted and charred on the cut side, about 3 minutes.
- 6To serve, transfer the grilled romaine, kebabs, and olives (if using) to a large serving platter. (If desired, remove the cheese and vegetables from the skewers and chop all of the salad ingredients.) Drizzle a few tablespoons of the remaining marinade over the salad, passing any leftover marinade on the side.