Vanilla-Buttermilk Pastry Cream Recipe
Game plan: Refrigerate in an airtight container until ready to use, up to two days.
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup well-shaken buttermilk
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract (or 1/4 vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped and reserved)
- Combine sugar, flour, and salt in a small mixing bowl. Whisk gently to break up any lumps, and set aside. Prepare an ice water bath by filling a bowl halfway with ice and water; set aside.
- Combine buttermilk and egg yolks in a small saucepan and whisk untilsmooth. Whisk in dry ingredients and place the pan over medium heat. Cook, whisking constantly, until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla extract or reserved vanilla seeds. Transfer pastry cream to a small bowl nestled in the ice water bath and let cool completely, stirring occasionally to help it cool faster.