Cheddar and Chutney Tea Sandwiches
The question is not whether cheese and chutney go well together, but rather which cheese to choose. As a nod to the British, we’ve opted for an aged sharp cheddar to star in this sandwich, but snacking in the test kitchen revealed that fresh goat cheese is a close runner-up.
Game plan: Let the sandwiches rest at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving, so the chutney has time to soak into the bread.
See more tea party recipes.
- 8 tablespoons mango chutney such as Major Grey’s
- 16 slices (2-1/2-by-2-1/2-inch) dark pumpernickel cocktail bread, such as Rubschlager
- 4 ounces aged sharp cheddar, thinly sliced
- 1Spread a thin layer of chutney on one side of each bread slice. (You will use 1 tablespoon per sandwich or 1 1/2 teaspoons [1/2 tablespoon] per slice of bread.)
- 2Top 8 slices with a layer of cheese (about 1/2 ounce per slice) and close sandwiches with remaining 8 slices of bread. Let sit about 30 minutes before serving to allow flavors to meld. Serve sandwiches whole, or if you like, slice each sandwich in half on the diagonal.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved