Pickled Radish and Sweet Butter Tea Sandwiches Recipe
- Bread-and-Butter Radishes
- 6 (1/4-inch-thick, 8-by-4-inch-long) slices pain au levain, crusts removed, each slice cut into 3-1/2-by-3-1/2-inch squares
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup loosely packed watercress leaves (about 1/4 bunch)
- Prepare Bread-and-Butter Radishes.
- Divide butter among 3 slices of bread, spreading it in an even layer. Cover with a single layer of watercress leaves.
- Shingle pickled radishes over watercress, overlapping them so each slice is evenly covered. (You will not use all of the pickled radishes.) Grind some black pepper over radishes, and close each sandwich with a slice of remaining pain au levain.
- Trim the edges again, and cut each sandwich into 4 triangles. Serve immediately.