Hot Voodoo Love Recipe
Portland, Oregon-based mixologist Magarian goes for shock value in cocktail monikers. “I love names with unexpectedness,” he explains. Hot Voodoo Love is on the cocktail menu at Table 8 in Florida’s South Beach. Magarian deconstructs the name: Hot is appropriate for a drink featuring horseradish-infused vodka. Voodoo is intended to evoke a magical feel. And Love? “I look for words that are stimulating, sexy, strike a chord,” he says.
Game plan: Make your own horseradish-infused vodka by steeping 1 cup cleaned, chopped horseradish in one 750 ml bottle of vodka for one day. Any extra horseradish-infused vodka would make a killer Bloody Mary.
- 1 1/2 ounces horseradish-infused vodka
- 1/2 ounce sweet vermouth
- 3/4 ounce fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 ounce tangerine juice
- 1/2 ounce Rich Simple Syrup
- Dash of angostura bitters
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Add ice and shake vigorously for six seconds.
- Strain and garnish with a flaming orange peel.