Vegan Fluffy Buttercream Frosting Recipe
This is our all-purpose “go-to” vegan frosting. It’s great for piping into lush, swirling mountains of frostiness, and just as good for spreading onto a cupcake like rolling hills of heaven. This recipe makes a lot, so you can halve it if you are going to be spreading the frosting rather than piping it. It’s especially delicious adorned with some chocolate sandwich cookies and put atop our tender Basic (Vegan) Chocolate Cupcake.
- 1/2 cup nonhydrogenated shortening
- 1/2 cup nonhydrogenated margarine
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted if clumpy
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup plain soy milk or soy creamer
- Beat the shortening and margarine together until well combined and fluffy. Add the sugar and beat for about 3 more minutes.
- Add the vanilla and soy milk, and beat for another 5 to 7 minutes until fluffy.
Cookies ‘n’ Cream Frosting (pictured): Stir into frosting 1/2 cup (about 5 cookies; mash first, then measure) of finely mashed vegan chocolate cream-filled sandwich cookies, like Newman-O’s. Frost cupcakes generously, and top each cupcake with half of a sandwich cookie.
This recipe, while from a trusted source, may not have been tested by the CHOW food team.