Rosemary and Garlic Roasted Potatoes Recipe
Roasted potatoes are a no-brainer and always a crowd-pleaser. Here we roast them at a higher temperature than normal for a crispy crust and dark golden exterior. This preparation, a take on the roasted potatoes that traditionally accompany a Bistecca Fiorentina, pairs well with just about any fish or meat dish.
Game plan: If you’re making these potatoes to serve with our bistecca, start heating the oil a few minutes after you put the steak in the oven. Once the oil heats, add the potatoes and proceed with the bistecca recipe. By the time your steak is done, the potatoes will be beautifully crisped and ready to eat.
This recipe was featured as part of our Family-Friendly Party Done Right photo gallery.
- 1 pound Red Bliss, round white, or new potatoes
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 (5-inch) rosemary sprigs
- 5 medium garlic cloves, lightly smashed
- Heat the oven to 500°F. Clean the potatoes, dry them well, and quarter them.
- When the oven is heated, add the oil to a 3-quart baking dish and place it on the bottom rack of the oven to heat. Once the oil is hot and shimmering (about 3 minutes), carefully remove the dish from the oven and add the dry potatoes, rosemary, and garlic. Carefully stir to coat in oil, and season generously with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Return the dish to the oven, placing it on the bottom rack, and roast the potatoes, checking occasionally so that they don’t burn, until a nice crust has developed and they are dark golden brown, about 35 minutes. Remove the rosemary, stir to coat the potatoes with oil and break up the garlic cloves, season as necessary, and serve.
Beverage pairing: A red wine from Tuscany would be the perfect match for this hearty dish. A Chianti would do the trick, but for something a bit more unusual, try a Rosso di Montalcino (made from Sangiovese), like the 2004 Casisano Colombaio Rosso di Montalcino.